Monday, June 5, 2023

The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot

 


    Remember my annoyance with sites that bury a recipe in ads and text? Before I start with my life story, let me reiterate that you can easily find the recipe by clicking on the picture. Also, as a side note, Recipe Keeper tracks when a recipe was last made, probably so you can search for recipes that you haven't made in a while and avoid always having the same old same old. I last made this on 8/25/22. This is really only of interest because after making the chicken, I also made the broth that the author of the recipe suggests (it's in the original recipe if you follow the source link provided in my recipe). I then used the broth to make chicken noodle soup. After 2 days of stuff simmering in the crockpot, I realized that I couldn't smell it. Sure enough, I had Covid without ever knowing it other than the not being able to smell symptom. Home Covid test without raping my nose, win-win.

    Yesterday had a shaky start and only went from bad to worse. I woke up at 2am and couldn't go back to sleep. After being awake for 12 hours I was finally starting to feel a bit sleepy but eyeballing the clock and thinking that the chicken would need to cook for 4-5 hours. I decided to wait and see if D got up and put dinner on while I was napping. I woke up around 5pm, she was up but the crockpot I'd hauled out for her was still empty. I poked her to put her into action by saying, "Chicken needs to cook for 4-5 hours". Well how original do you expect me to be before coffee? So she got up to make dinner.

    Now, I realize that I may seem overly critical of my daughter. I have said that she is disabled, but she has the kitchen set up so that she can use an office chair to wheel around to cook and do dishes. Which also means that the work surfaces are too low for me to use while standing, and I really can't get the hang of cooking while sitting. Also, she needs to stay active, not only for her physical health but mental as well so that she doesn't become depressed that she's only 30ish and there is so much that she already can't do. There is a lot of stuff that she can still do but seems to like having people at her beck and call to do the things she doesn't want to do. So she needs a bit of a push at times.

    I heard the grandwarrior outside playing so I went out to watch all of the adorable splendor. I reached down to tickle the toddler-sized tornado as it passed and tweaked my back. Ugh. So I went back inside to sit and rest, take it easy, etc. On my way back to my room I bent to pick something up, not even thinking, and my back fully went out. OY. I was still in considerable pain when dinner was ready and D made up my plate and brought it to me. I admit, I wasn't concerned with taking a picture of the chicken before it was served. It's usually very pretty. D had snapped a picture of her plate of food and I had her send it to me for this post. 

    After having leftovers today, we'll shred the remains of the chicken cadaver and freeze it for use in future recipes that call for shredded chicken - like the chicken enchiladas scheduled for the 11th. We decided not to make the accompanying broth this time around since we still have broth in the freezer from the last time D had cooked a chicken to make dog food for her spoiled Chihuahua. The spices used in this recipe aren't dog-friendly so she'd just cooked a chicken plain. But this chicken with the broth really go hand in hand, then we have shredded chicken AND broth for use in future recipes. Really great when you have a limited grocery budget.

    Hopefully my back is back to normal before I have to walk to the doctor's on Wednesday. If it ain't one thing, it's another. Good thing my youngest is on vacation this week. I don't know how I'd manage to keep up with the grandwarrior if I'd had to babysit today.

No comments: