Thursday, June 1, 2023

A New Leaf, Lettuce Begin

    This was an old inactive blog dating back to 2008. I unpublished the 16 old posts and repurposed it. I've never been much of a cook, nor am I exactly a foodie. My tastes are simple and fairly plain and not very adventurous. Now that I'm older I have time to cook. I'm tired of eating the same old, same old. Having the energy to cook is a different story as I'm finding that I've become a bit too old to chase after a toddler day in day out. But basically the only thing on my calendar is watching my 2 year old grandwarrior and making dinner a few nights a week. Yup, I really said grandwarrior. I am Warly after all and I guess it's time I hung up the persona of warlybabe that I acquired in my 20's and embrace what the family now calls me - Grandwar.

    We have a bit of a strange living arrangement. My oldest daughter is disabled. My son-in-law (SIL) has been her caregiver since she got to the point of needing help with chores and day to day stuff. Several years ago, my SIL was diagnosed with cancer. Coincidentally, their upstairs neighbor was moving. So I moved into the upper flat with my youngest daughter. When my youngest started her own family I moved downstairs with my oldest and SIL. They don't really need my help so much anymore, prolly a good thing because somewhere along the way I got old and slow. So I live with my oldest and SIL, with my youngest, upper SIL, and my grandwarrior right upstairs. The grandwarrior comes and "visits" when mom leaves for work until dad picks her up.

    As grocery prices skyrocket, my daughter and I decided to try making up a menu again. It is so much cheaper to share meals than always eat separately. Plus it's nice to have planned meals for the grandwarrior, though she generally has our dinner leftovers for lunch the following day. Except daughter and I don't really have the same tastes. She prefers chicken while I prefer beef. She likes vegetables, I like grease. What can I say, we were raised in different eras. Turning over a new leaf and attempting a menu plan again was my daughter's idea. I suspect she has forgotten why we quit planning menus before. Or maybe she hasn't and hopes this attempt will turn out the same way - with me cooking all of the meals.

    I'm not entirely sure what has prompted me to blog about this endeavor. I guess that I kind of miss blogging. I've done it a lot on assorted blogs over the years, under different pseudonyms. Many times involving recipes for some reason. Anyhow, the premise was simple. We picked out 3 meals a week, one beef, one chicken, and the third day is comprised of a variety of pork, meatless pasta, breakfast for dinner recipes etc. We started on last Sunday. Unfortunately I have no pictures from previous meals. The beginner meals that I've missed will be heard about again, I'm sure. I probably could take one of tonight's dinner but it's hardly worth writing home about. More about that in my next post.

    I have this really awesome recipe app. I'm thinking that it might get it's own page instead of me rambling about it here in the first post. I swear, they don't pay me to advertise it, it is just so incredibly handy.


No comments: